Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Is My Planer Set Up Correctly?

On 1/28/19 4:25 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, January 28, 2019 at 9:58:14 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/27/19 8:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
With the planer off, I lowered the cutter assembly just low enough that the
infeed roller exerted just a little bit of drag on the board as I manually
pushed it in. I ensured that the board was not tilted upward as I pushed it
through.

When I continued to push it through, it stopped when it reached the outfeed
roller. I had to raise the assembly just under 1/32" to allow the board to
go under the outfeed roller.

Is the outfeed roller supposed to be lower than the infeed roller since the
assumption is that the board is thinner once the blades have removed some
wood?

I verified that the bed is coplaner with both the infeed and outfeed tables.
I then inserted my 6' planer sled and verified that it was flat and level.
The inserted board did the same thing: stopped when it hit the outfeed roller.

It is probably set up perfectly fine.

Most planer feed rollers are spring loaded and will have some vertical
give to them.
My guess is when you force the board under the front roller, it pushed
the roller up into the spring.

Perhaps I'm not explaining my "test" very well. I am not forcing the board
under the front roller in the normal "infeed" sense.

I placed the board on the bed and slid it back and forth under the infeed
roller as I lowered the assembly. As soon as I felt the *slightest* amount
of resistance from the front roller, I stopped lowering the assembly. Like
zero resistance, then a 1/4" turn (1/64") and there's the tiniest bit of
drag. So little drag that all up and down motion is eliminated but I can
still push the board with my pinky.

Then when I push the board in farther, it come to a hard stop at the
outfeed roller.

When the board meets the back roller,
the difference in height is the amount of upward travel in the from
roller.

I don't think so. I think the difference in height is much more than
that.

If you continued to force the board under the back roller, it would
likely raise up to the same height as the front.

Sure, but should I have to *force* it? It no longer takes just a pinky to
the get the board under the outfeed. It takes a considerable amount of full
hand push, so much that if the wheels on the cart weren't locked, I could
push it across the shop.

The outfeed roller is definitely lower than the infeed roller and that is
what my question is. Should it be?

Call the company.

--

-MIKE-