Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What to do about that crack at the side of the stairs.

In article ,
"Andrew Mawson" writes:
"Rednadnerb" wrote in message

When decorating I'm often asked if there is anything that I can do to stop
the crack between the stairs stringer and the wall from re-appearing. I've
always said not really, I'll rake it and fill it with caulk and it will
look good when I walk out the door but it will come back in time.
But now I've got a customer and I can tell that he's not really happy with
that answer.
Has anyone ever used a silicone bead for this? or anything else?

Tell him that if he turns his heating off to minimise thermal movement, and
stops using the stair to minimise mechanical movement, then the cracking
will be much reduced

and maybe loses some weight?

Have the stair case mountings failed? Sometimes, the stringers are
fixed to the walls.

--
Andrew Gabriel