Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Is My Planer Set Up Correctly?

On 1/28/2019 7:01 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, January 28, 2019 at 12:28:18 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 1/27/2019 8:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
With the planer off, I lowered the cutter assembly just low enough that the
infeed roller exerted just a little bit of drag on the board as I manually
pushed it in. I ensured that the board was not tilted upward as I pushed it
through.

When I continued to push it through, it stopped when it reached the outfeed
roller. I had to raise the assembly just under 1/32" to allow the board to
go under the outfeed roller.

Is the outfeed roller supposed to be lower than the infeed roller since the
assumption is that the board is thinner once the blades have removed some
wood?

It needs to be where it will pull the material on through after passing
the cutterhead, yes, but not so low as to be a barrier.

Just to be clear, it's only a barrier with the planer off. When the board is fed into the
planet with the power on, it does not stop at the back roller.

Again, with the power on, the infeed roller has no problem pushing the board
hard enough for the outfeed roller to grab it. It's only with the power off that I
notice the board stop when it reaches the outfeed roller.

Well, why would you do that???? Of COURSE it will hit the outfeed
roller; how else could it possibly have enough friction applied to do
any good when planing?