Paul Franklin

Default Please help: Sunroom Flooring Recommendation, weird situation

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:07:46 GMT, Russell wrote:
snip
I'd appreciate any recommendations, esp. w/r/t the thickness of plywood
needed over these planks to assure a solid subfloor. Maybe we'd be
better off with two 0.25" thin layers! How about moisture barriers? Is
roofing felt good for that? Seems like that foamboard would be great, as
it insulates as well. Obviously, it is thicker (probably 0.125" or so).

Lastly, what kind of top-flooring would you recommend for this situation
- where the floor should not encounter any water, but will at times
experience temperature extremes and, to the extent the moisture barrier
isn't perfect, some summertime humidity and wintertime dry air as well?

Thanks very much for any advice you can offer,
Russell.

Most of your conclusions seem right to me. Tile requires a very stiff
subfloor to prevent cracking. I would worry about the humidity with
any of the wood floors; they formica type laminates would probably be
ok, but I agree, they just don't seem quite right somehow.

What about vinyl? (sheet) If you go with the solid type it's pretty
near indestructable, and will work with the space you've got.
Humidity won't be a problem if you put a vapor barrier under the
underlayment. Pick a nice pattern, scatter a few rugs around and
you're set.

Or...use vinyl only in a section near the doors, and transition to
your material of choice for the rest of the room.

All else fails, get a carpenter to trim the doors and reset the
threshold.

HTH,

Paul