Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Confirm switch wiring, please

On 27/01/2019 18:40, Steven wrote:

"Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp" wrote in
message ...
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 11:17:45 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

If it was working the chances are that it was OK just strange wire or
whatever. Why look for trouble above that which presents itself.
Brian

In my early days I ran an MOD NAMAS accredited calibration department.
I used to do audits on the work and being as "hands on" as the rest of
the staff, it was more than just a paperwork excercise.

"insignificant problems" like a screw missing or dessicant that was
past it's best were not in themselves problems. The case would be
secure, the odd bit of damp would have no effect in a lot of the gear.

Those little problems were often very good indicators of something
more serious because the shortcuts would appear in the critical areas
also.

The solution, rejection and a full recal.

A philosophy that has served me very well over the years and prevented
many serious failiures in my other jobs.

I have yet to see anything wrong with my approach.

Yes, you actually are that stupid. His setup does require 6
wires and clearly the yellow wire had come adrift and all
it needed was to put it back where it had come out of.

Some work is shoddy
and potentially hazardous because of the location of the wiring I
recently found a lghting cable twisted together and insulated with
Silicone rubber. There were other problems with the same system so it
wasn't too much of a surprise. Removing the plasterboard ceiling to
find it wasn't with the intention of investigating the cable though,
it was for a totally different reason. My risk assessment of the
system did not conclude that removing a ceiling under a flat roof was
going to be worthwhile.

In his case there is nothing like that, just one terminal not fully
screwed in.

The risks were low, but who's to know what load of flammables might
have been left in the recess.

Yeah, best to demolish the house and start again on a bare block of land.

I can well imagine AB sucking teeth, shaking head, and advising
homeowner that he really needs to inspect every connection in every
switch, socket etc in the the house else there's a risk of the entire
household (and the neighbours too if there's gas in use) suffering a
fatal accident.

--
Robin