John W

Default "antique nickel" screws?

I've never seen hollow cupboard doors - in fact, the new "cheap" doors are
often made from MDF which is actually heavier than solid wood and does not
hold a screw as well.

Assuming these hinges are intended for use on cupboard doors and unless you
have a wife or kids that like to hang on the doors, the supplied screws
should be fine (and the toothpick & glue fix is a fairly SOP).

As a worst case, if you did have problems at some point in the future, you
can still switch to a larger screw.

John

"blue" wrote in message
John W wrote:

I agree, fill the existing holes with toothpicks and wood glue (the

white or
yellow stuff) and use the supplied screws into the newly-filled holes.
Toothpicks are made from hardwood and will hold better in most cases

than
the original wood. Coat each toothpick in glue and use one to put more

glue
in the hole. If you use the tapered variety, alternate large and small

ends
forcing as many in the holes as possible and break them off flush.

Toothpicks will hold better than the original wood? I had no idea. We
were very worried about the supplied screws, they are simply #6, 3/4" or
something like that. Seems pretty small for a solid wood door (original
doors from the house built in 1950). I thought that these screws were
for the new hollow doors which are much lighter.

If you feel the supplied screws are not large enough to provide the

needed
support, there's a good chance the hinges aren't either.

You guys really think toothpicks, glue and the puny screws will hold? I
wasn't too worried about the hinges as our replacements are by the same
company, same size, etc. as the originals which have held up the doors
since 1950 (or maybe the previous owner simply kept adding bigger screws
as the doors started to fall off :-)

John

"blue" wrote in message

We bought some Stanley hinges as replacements for the solid wood doors
in our home. The hinges are in the colour "antique nickel". The supplied
screws are tiny and definately will not fit into the place of the old
screws which were #8 - #10, 1.5" - 3" (love how the previous owners were
consistent! :-).

Anyhow, are there screws available in this "antique nickel" in much
larger sizes? I've done some Googling and have come up with screws in
alternative colours such as "antique brass" (which doesn't match) but
have only found them in lengths up to 1". Our local Home Depot, Rona,
etc. didn't have anything.

If anyone knows of a place (online or otherwise, but perferably Canadian
or at least ships to Canada) that might offer this colour of screw in
the lengths I need, that would be great. Else we'll stick with plain old
silver since I am sure no one will notice they don't match but me. :-)