Posted to uk.d-i-y
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp[_4_] Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp[_4_] is offline

Default Confirm switch wiring, please

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 11:17:45 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

If it was working the chances are that it was OK just strange wire or
whatever. Why look for trouble above that which presents itself.
Brian

In my early days I ran an MOD NAMAS accredited calibration department.
I used to do audits on the work and being as "hands on" as the rest of
the staff, it was more than just a paperwork excercise.

"insignificant problems" like a screw missing or dessicant that was
past it's best were not in themselves problems. The case would be
secure, the odd bit of damp would have no effect in a lot of the gear.

Those little problems were often very good indicators of something
more serious because the shortcuts would appear in the critical areas
also.

The solution, rejection and a full recal.

A philosophy that has served me very well over the years and prevented
many serious failiures in my other jobs.

I have yet to see anything wrong with my approach. Some work is shoddy
and potentially hazardous because of the location of the wiring I
recently found a lghting cable twisted together and insulated with
Silicone rubber. There were other problems with the same system so it
wasn't too much of a surprise. Removing the plasterboard ceiling to
find it wasn't with the intention of investigating the cable though,
it was for a totally different reason. My risk assessment of the
system did not conclude that removing a ceiling under a flat roof was
going to be worthwhile.

The risks were low, but who's to know what load of flammables might
have been left in the recess.

AB