Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Conduit fixed below joists OK?

On 26/01/2019 12:55, Chris Green wrote:
ARW wrote:
On 26/01/2019 09:22, Chris Green wrote:
Is it acceptaple to run cables in (probably standard plastic clip on
cover) conduit fixed to the underside of exposed joists? I can't see
any reason why it shouldn't be OK but want to check.

It's to run a couple of 2.5sq mm feeds across the ceiling of a garage
which has a room above it but where the joists are exposed. Going
round the edge at the top of the walls is possible but rather messier
with obstructions and such (and would also use more cable).

Trunking not conduit if it has a clip on cover?

Either is fine but you should put some metal clips/p clips or all round
band inside the trunking to secure the cable in the event of a fire.

Trunking, yes. Conduit you have to poke it through don't you.

... and yes, thanks for the new 18th edition requirement which means
I'll need to put metal clips of some sort round the trunking. Are
clips like this now available or will I have to improvise something?

Anything metal will do [1] so use all round band, P clips or google for
"clips for trunking" that will bring up some metal U shaped clips
designed for trunking.

[1] It probably has to be steel. Sodium and mercury etc just do not cut
the mustard:-)
--
Adam