Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Gill Bill Gill is offline

Default What paint for furniture

On 1/24/2019 8:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/24/2019 9:23 AM, Bill Gill wrote:
I got a nice little desk from the Salvation Army for $69 (US).
But it is white.Â* Now I need to figure what kind of paint I
need to change the color.Â* I need something pretty tough,
because I will be using it as a desk and a part time
workbench for assembling small items.Â* The top has some
mars, I will need to clean and seal it.Â* On one edge it
is damaged a bit.Â* Probably from being pushed up against
a wall.

Is it possible that the wood under the paint is something really nice?
If so, I'd strip it and polyurethane it.Â* If you want paint, a good
enamel should do.

Going back 30 years or more, it was common for people to "antique"
furniture by painting it with a kit.Â* Some nice wood got hidden for the
sake of some trendy style.

This desk was built in Vietnam for Pottery Barn Kids. I doubt
if it is all that wonderful. My first thought was High Density
Fiberboard, although the drawers look kind of like wood.

Bill