Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default How can you possibly fall off a self balancing scooter?

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 23:14:20 -0000, NY wrote:

"Steven" wrote in message

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 21:26:37 -0000, Steven wrote:

When say it decides you are falling backwards, and moves back,
while you are standing on it, the complete assembly of you and
the scooter moves back and it doesn't change where it is relative
to the person's center of gravity.

Let's say you're stood stationary and upright on it, not moving. Now,
you lose your balance a little and begin to fall over backwards. Your
feet tilt backwards, the device senses this, and moves backwards. You're
now still over the device

Yes, but it can't move under the center of gravity while your feet are
still on it.

You've forgotten Newton 3: "for every action, there is an equal and opposite
reaction".

It moves the wheels by the motor exerting a torque on them. This causes an
equal and opposite torque on the scooter-and-human, thus moving the person's
C of G relative to the axle until the C of G is once again directly over the
axle. This is how it corrects for the person leaning too far forwards or
backwards.

If the person leans back, the sensors detect that the scooter is tipping
backwards, and rotates the wheels backwards, thus tipping the person
forwards.

He's a thick Australian, and has changed name again. He gets really upset when I don't talk to him. His real name is "Rod Speeed" (with two Es - if I used two my newsreader would remove the thread).