Posted to alt.electronics,alt.home.repair,alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y
Steven Steven is offline

Default How can you possibly fall off a self balancing scooter?

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 20:43:14 -0000, Steven wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
I tried one, once, I couldn't stay on it. I see countless Youtube
videos
of people falling off them. But why? If you are about to fall over
backwards, shouldn't it feel the tilt of your feet and simply roll
under
your centre of gravity?

Not possible with your feet still on it.

What isn't possible? It moving under you or you falling off it?

"simply roll under your centre of gravity" while ever your feet are still
on
it.

Why would that not be possible?

When say it decides you are falling backwards, and moves back,
while you are standing on it, the complete assembly of you and
the scooter moves back and it doesn't change where it is relative
to the person's center of gravity.

Let's say you're stood stationary and upright on it, not moving. Now, you
lose your balance a little and begin to fall over backwards. Your feet
tilt backwards, the device senses this, and moves backwards. You're now
still over the device

Yes, but it can't move under the center of gravity while your feet are still
on it.

and don't fall off it.

The scooter moving backwards has done nothing to stop you falling backwards.

The more you tilt over, the faster it goes, moving your feet so they're
under your centre of gravity,

That doesn't happen.

thus you don't fall.