Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dimming LEDs

On Thursday, 24 January 2019 18:42:34 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 January 2019 16:32:07 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

That could be the problem. The more you fiddle with LEDs to get a
continuous spectrum, the more the efficiency drops.

who is trying to get continuous spectrum from LED lighting?

If you want colours to look fairly similar as in daylight, me.

so no-one commercially. For a long time researchers were trying to develop phosphors that only produced the peak light frequencies to improve efficacy.

Same, really, as with
florries - but more so.

Halophosphates gave far closer to full spectrum than the more modern &
far more efficient triphosphor coatings.

True. But I reckon a decent triphosphor is closer than any LED I've come
across.

90s CRI versus 80s. Moving away from continuous spectrum is more the focus of commercial research as it improves efficacy.

NT