Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screw/wallplug size

On Wednesday, 23 January 2019 14:16:48 UTC, TMH wrote:
On 22/01/2019 14:19, Jim K.. wrote:
charles Wrote in message:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

I am replacing some old wall lights with some new Där fittings. I was
somewhat surprised to see that the wallplugs and screws supplied were of
different lengths. The wallplugs were 25mm x 5mm, and the screws 35mm x
3.5mm. The diameters match well, but why would you use a 35mm screw with
a 25mm wallplug?

It's because the people who design stuff have never fixed anything to a
wall in their lives & have no idea how to do so.

Rule number 1.

Unpack item, remove screws/plugs, throw in bin.

Product designers simply don't care about the plug fixings. If bean counters can save 0.2p on plugs & screws they will.

Mostly I don't use the supplied fixings as being too small. But otherwise the quality of them doesn't matter a damn really, it's just a bit of plastic that gets squashed.

NT