Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default How secure was / is email

Yes the packets could be intercepted if they all went the same way I guess.

There really is no such thing as secure, just the likelihood of it being
insecure.
After all in transit you first have to be looking when it goes past unless
you want to store everything, examine it and then pass it on and I'd imagine
that would end up with a detectable latency!

I think in many ways the biggest danger today is that if somebody gets lots
of little clues about a person they may be able to identify them even if the
identity was encrypted as this is how private investigators used to work
with paper clues.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"TimW" wrote in message
On 23/01/2019 09:58,
wrote:
Hi All,

I always believed that in the olden day's (10-20 years ago). email
travelling across the internet
Was unencrypted and insecure.

Recently a couple of people have suggested to me that these days it's
encrypted and always was.

Is it?

Yes, almost always

Was it?

No, not always

Secure 'in transit' as it were. A lot of people with server access at each
end could just read it if they wanted.

TW