Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default up is on or up is off? .....

On Tuesday, 22 January 2019 21:07:38 UTC, Steve Walker wrote:
On 22/01/2019 15:19, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 22 January 2019 14:09:15 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 22/01/2019 08:55, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
do you think the merrycan way of switching with down off is more sensibubble
that what we do in the uk ?

Two way switching uses both conventions.

Up/down os probably only really seen with older tooggle knobs on
switches. Most of us probably use sockets/switches where pressing the
lower part is on and pressing the upper part is off.

At one time, Crabtree sockets had their rocker switch flush when off.
Raised on. Which meant bashing it with a chair leg or whatever meant it
could only be switched off. Seemed quite sensible to me.

Is this why hospitals tend to have sockets without a switch so they can't accidently be switched off

I have made a number of visits to hospitals recently - including one
last night. The sockets were all switched.

Did they have gas lights too. ?

The ones last night were ones where the rocker is flush when off and one
set (maybe on an uninterruptible supply?) had red rockers.

SteveW

The one I saw in the new section at whipps cross didn't have any switches.