Posted to uk.d-i-y
tahrey tahrey is offline

Default 200 quid for chips?

replying to Dave Plowman (News), tahrey wrote:
One of the better things about moving out of mum's place has been that for the
last 7 and a bit years I haven't had to suffer the dismay of even a single
oven chip. Not a one has seen the inside of my oven, excepting fancy things
like spicy wedges or sweet potato fries (each being an experiment that proved
equally disappointing and never repeated). She used to cook them on the
regular and they were never anything more than awful, even when perfectly
cooked, and that didn't happen often because if you don't watch them like a
hawk you're more likely to end up with them either undercooked or burnt to
embers.

Chippy chips, properly deep fried in a way I wouldn't be able to pull off
myself and with a bit of nicely battered fish, are maybe less healthy and
certainly more expensive, but I'd rather them as a not particularly
extravagant treat once a week or fortnight, with the nutritional and financial
downside being a good way to discourage overindulgence.

Oven chips are like those microwaveable burgers, an unnecessary horror of the
convenience food age that are no more than a thin shadow of their properly
made inspiration.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1144063-.htm