Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_11_] Graham.[_11_] is offline

Default up is on or up is off? .....

On 22/01/2019 08:55, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
do you think the merrycan way of switching with down off is more sensibubble
that what we do in the uk ?

Two way switching uses both conventions.

Up/down os probably only really seen with older tooggle knobs on
switches. Most of us probably use sockets/switches where pressing the
lower part is on and pressing the upper part is off.

I see that as the same action, the latter having a modified toggle.

Someone told me that strictly speaking American three pin sockets
should be mounted with the earth pin down, but this is universally
ignored to make them look like a face.

I think they also mount them sideways in architraves.

We never (well hardly ever) mount our sockets otherwise than earth pin
up, but I have more than one Chinese wall-wart with labeling affixed
in an orientation that suggests some people in China think our sockets
are earth pin down.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%