Tom Horne

Default New Electrial outlets in Basement

You Asked wrote:

"Wade Eyre" wrote in message

We are in the process of finishing our basement. The studding is up and

now

I have to decide on how many outlets. I have decided to put in 8 outlets

on

one side (separate new feed) and want to ensure that this should be fine.
Can anyone tell me if this is reasonable? The basement is not a highly

used

area so I'm not overly concerned but am I safe?

Cheers
wade

You really should get a copy of the NEC or a good book that references the
NEC rules. You should find lots of these books at you local library or book
store. It isn't difficult to conform to the rules, but you have to know
what the rules are in order to conform to them.

The basic rule is that there must be a duplex recepticle within 6 feet of
any point along a wall (measured horizontally), and if there is a doorway
along a wall, the 6 feet measurement restarts (so that people don't need to
run cords in front of doorways). There are also limitations on how many
outlets can be on one circuit. The NEC specifies a limit, but in some
areas, the local gov't has changed the limit. Where I live, it's 8 outlets
per circuit.

Sorry but the US NEC does not specify any limit on the number of outlets
on residential circuits. In states that permit local amendment of the
electrical code there may be an amendment limiting the number of outlets
but in min/max states such as Virginia that is not a possibility.
--
Tom H