Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default This has me puzzled (resistor change)

On Monday, January 21, 2019 at 4:39:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, January 21, 2019 at 4:14:29 PM UTC-5, Mike Coon wrote:
In article t,
says...

Could it have been possiable that the new resistor was bad, or maybe the
color code was read wrong so the wrong value was put in ?

As a lad, scratching through my dad's old box of mixed resistors,
looking for a near-enough value to one I needed, I used to get a strong
urge to choose any old value and re-paint the colours...

Mike.

I find it amazing how I can spot a certain color code in a box of mixed up resistors.

I'm looking for yellow purple red.

Ah there's one.

Back when I used to carry a big box of tubes (valves) for on site repair, I could spot any tube out of hundreds in seconds. After a long time using them, we don't "read" the tube number as much as just flat out recognize it - just like when reading words.