Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default This has me puzzled (resistor change)

In article ,
says...

Prob not "bad", but maybe just way off value (or read incorrectly as you surmised). I've been given tons of old parts including resistor assortments. You can't believe how often the wrong resistor (usually multiplier) was in the wrong drawer.

When sorting new old stock carbon carbon comp resistors, I don't sort them by printed value, but actual measured resistance since so many of them are closer to the next value up or down than they are to their own printed value. I only keep them to put in old tube radios for authenticity's sake.

I have not done much repairing electronics in a while and had a bunch of
1/2 watt carbon resistors that I had been using.

Found out when I ordered an assortment of modern reisitors that they had
an extra band where there were 3 digits and the multiplier instead of
the 2 digits and multiplier that I was use to.

I am well aware that the older carbon resistors often go up in value as
they age even if new. I always measure the resistors before I use them.
I do the same with the electrolytic capacitors.