Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default This has me puzzled (resistor change)

wrote:

I was always under the impression that film resistors are identical
(electrically), and their only difference is appearance. Now I learn
that is not true.....

Very high value film resistors are made with some composition sprayed on a
ceramic tube, and then an abrasive jet cuts a spiral groove in the film
element. That can add inductance, and the higher the resistance value they
are aiming for, the more inductance. In tube circuits, it is not unusual to
have megohm resistors, so I can see how this could be a problem.

Jon