Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ggherold@gmail.com is offline

Default This has me puzzled (resistor change)

On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 6:25:07 PM UTC-5, Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 1/20/19 5:50 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 16:33:41 -0600, tubeguy wrote:

I was always under the impression that film resistors are identical
(electrically), and their only difference is appearance. Now I learn
that is not true.....

WHY?????

Really need to see a schematic. AFAIK the only functional difference
between film and carbon is that latter are noisier.

They also have a large negative voltage coefficient.

I was going to say they also have a negative temperature coef.
But I'd be wrong. A 1.5 kOhm CC in hot air gun and resistance rises.
(I know we use to use these as low T (LN2/ liquid He) temp sensors
with a resistance that rises with lower temp.
(Kinda like it was a thermally activated semi-conductor.))

So I stuck the same 1.5 k resistor into LN2... R increased to 2.1 k!

George H.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--