Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default De-commissioning back-boilers?

On 21/01/2019 13:46, wrote:
On Monday, January 18, 2010 at 3:58:56 PM UTC, Jeweller wrote:
PeterC wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 10:24:00 -0500, S Viemeister wrote:

Our out-dated, hard-to-control, inefficient heating system is due to be
replaced this year. Currently, we have an oil-fired Rayburn (converted
from solid fuel), _and_ a back-boiler in the livingroom fireplace.

The back boiler concerns me - it will, of course, be disconnected from
the heating system, but I wish to be able to continue to use the
fireplace.

ISTR that the back boiler should be filled with sand, but never checked on
that.

We simply left ours in situ and continue to use the open fire.

--
R100RT
Aprilia Pegaso 650 IE "The Flying Mythos"

I would advise looking at what the HSE guide lines are !
they recommend removal of back boiler rather than venting although this is an option.
having worked in the industry some 16 yrs, my safety concerns are fumes and smoke usually find their way up the redundant channels and pipes ! Stick to HSE guidlines would be my advise.

Well *I* would read the bloody DATE of the posting and its replies.

You obviously didn't and are 8 years too late. Where did you trawl
up this old posting from ?.

And making reference to the HSE on DIY newsgroup isn't going to make
you very popular, especially if you actually work for them.