Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Curtain wire problem - sounds easy but aint!

newshound wrote:

On 20/01/2019 17:31, Murmansk wrote:
Old fashioned curtain wire - like a spring/tube with a plastic
covering.Hook or eye screws into end of wire, eye or hook screws into
wall.

Window has plasterboard either side. Someone's attached hook using a
tiny wall plug, but it just pulls out because the hook's thread is too
slim to make the plug expand and if you were to use a proper
plasterboard plug it would be even worse as the hole in the plug is
massive.

And of course, the curtain wire exerts a constant slight tension on the
fixing.

In the end I've glued a plasterboard plug in with silicone and glued a
hook into the plug too but I'm not optimistic. Any better ideas? Might
need to use Araldite next!

Plasterboard isn't going to take the tension readily. Not helping *your*
problem but for people with plaster, brick, etc. there's a special sort
of wallplug made for taking nail-in cable clips. It just has a small
hole in otherwise solid plastic, and the standard hooks or eyes used
with curtain wire work fine. Also useful to know about for cable clips,
of course.

Another vote for these. I've found they work (with care, and in places
they are not likely to be disturbed) for lime plaster just too soft to
grip the nails direct.

--

Roger Hayter