Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Solved (No earth to light switch, so sinking a plastic surface back box in a wall?)

Hmm, well good, I think. However I remember my Dad back in the 50s making
his own wall lights with two core just buried a tiny bit in the plaster of
the back room walls and the lights were made of hardboard with a toggle
switch of the kind that used to be fitted to radios, ie the solderable kind
with a metal toggle. I always did get a tingle off of those but I'm still
here!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
On 20/01/2019 13:09,
wrote:
I've discovered that the wiring to a light switch is in 2 core (i.e. no
earth) so the metal back box was unearthed. Getting an earth to it would
be a royal pain so I've removed the metal back box and plan to sink a
surface box so the back of the switch is in an insulated enclosure and
there's no chance of the screws making contact with a live wire if a wire
broke.
What's the opinion of the jury?
Any alternative solutions?

I've just found a better solution to this particular problem. There's a
light switch in the adjacent room, almost exactly behind the switch that's
bothering me, and this has an earth. They are on the same lighting circuit
so an earth wire through the wall and all is well.