Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default This has me puzzled (resistor change)

On Monday, 21 January 2019 08:22:47 UTC, wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 00:10:42 +0100, Sjouke Burry
wrote:
On 20-1-2019 23:50, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 16:33:41 -0600, tubeguy wrote:

I was always under the impression that film resistors are identical
(electrically), and their only difference is appearance. Now I learn
that is not true.....

WHY?????

Really need to see a schematic. AFAIK the only functional difference
between film and carbon is that latter are noisier.

A bulk carbon resistor has less self-inductance.

I kind of thought that might be the case....

I prefer using the old carbon resistors in vintage tube gear, but they
are getting hard to find and expensive. They are all NOS now. i dont
think there is any place making them anymore.

Rapidonline does carbon comps. I'm sure it's far from the only supplier. There's no upside to them other than pulse power ability & for some cases looks.

NT