Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim Schwartz[_2_] Tim Schwartz[_2_] is offline

Default This has me puzzled (resistor change)

On 1/20/2019 6:24 PM, Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 1/20/19 5:50 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 16:33:41 -0600, tubeguy wrote:

I was always under the impression that film resistors are identical
(electrically), and their only difference is appearance. Now I learn
that is not true.....

WHY?????

Really need to see a schematic. AFAIK the only functional difference
between film and carbon is that latter are noisier.

They also have a large negative voltage coefficient.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Also, Carbon composition resistors will take spikes and surges that will
render a film resistor open circuit, and are more tolerant of short term
overloads.

Regards,
Tim