Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default No earth to light switch, so sinking a plastic surface back boxin a wall?

On 20/01/2019 13:45, ARW wrote:
On 20/01/2019 13:29, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 13:09:19 +0000, wrote:

jury

Unless you know of a good reason why the earth has not been installed,
I would treat the discovery as an invitation for a full wiring
inspection.

And after a full and legal trial the only option in most cases is a rewire.

Earthing of lighting circuits became a requirement in 1966.

Yes, but if the wiring is sound there's no need for a re-wire. As I
slowly go through the rooms (it's not a small house) I'm sorting out the
problems as I find them.
I've just found a better solution to this particular problem. There's a
light switch in the adjacent room, almost exactly behind the switch
that's bothering me, and this has an earth. They are on the same
lighting circuit so an earth wire through the wall and all is well.