Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default No earth to light switch, so sinking a plastic surface back box in a wall?

In article ,
wrote:
I've discovered that the wiring to a light switch is in 2 core (i.e. no
earth) so the metal back box was unearthed. Getting an earth to it would
be a royal pain so I've removed the metal back box and plan to sink a
surface box so the back of the switch is in an insulated enclosure and
there's no chance of the screws making contact with a live wire if a
wire broke.
What's the opinion of the jury?
Any alternative solutions?

Get some plastic screws instead? If you really are that concerned. But
don't use any type of metal plate switch or dimmer that must be earthed.

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.