Posted to alt.home.repair
Nancy Pulosi Nancy Pulosi is offline

Default Question on CPVC cement...

On 1/19/19 10:26 AM, Bob F wrote:
On 1/18/2019 9:35 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, November 5, 2009 at 8:38:38 PM UTC-5, Dave wrote:
Can I use CPVC cement on standard PVC?Â* Or do I have to have a can of the
regular stuff, to put my project together?Â* Just wondering, and really don't
want t screw this up over something so simple...

Thanks,

Dave

Weld-on says this: "Yes. CPVC solvent cement technically will work on PVC piping. However, we recommend that the correct Weld-On primer and PVC solvent cement for the particular application should be used. Please note that PVC solvent cement, because of
temperature limitations, is not recommended for CPVC piping."

Oatey, on the other hand, is non-committal. But I suspect that CPVC cement will be OK on PVC, as Weld-on says. On the other hand, Weld-on also says above that PVC cement should not be used with CPVC pipe, but "because of temperature limitations" .. this
means that for cold water, it just might be OK too.

And, from what I read online, it seems that if you happen to need to join CPVC and PVC stuff, you could use CPVC cement to do this. YMMV, I'm not an expert with any of this stuff, however.

CPVC and PVC pipes are highly unlikely to be compatible for joining. The diameters are significantly different.

Wrong about politics, wrong about pipe sizes. Care to try another category?