HeatMan

Default Looking for opinions on pipe joints

"John Hines" wrote in message
"HeatMan" wrote:

"John Hines" wrote in message
.. .
RB wrote:

A wrap with thin (white) teflon tape

I use this on things I expect to take apart in the future.

A wrap with thick (yellow...gas) teflon tape

Would be my choice, on gas lines, see above.

Use teflon tape on your gas joints and it may void any warranty on the
downstream equipment....

Haven't seen that one. The only place I use tape is on the flex
connection that couples the device to the permanent gas lines. I've had
it go the other way, the use of pipe dope voids the warranty on my new
Moen bathtub valve, supposedly due to incompatibility with the plastics.
I used Harvey's plastic compatible (I checked the label) TPFE (teflon)
dope, and so far so good.

Teflon tape is fine, but it has it's limitations. I carry a roll of it in
my tool bag, but it hardly ever gets used.

Like I said before, if you use teflon tape on your gas joints, it may void
any warranty on the downstream equipment. Bits of the tape may get in
between the seat and the operator and may cause the valve to not close
completely. The gas may dribble out, but you get enough gas and BOOM!

Teflon tape is for water connections only, in my opinion