Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default Dyson cyclone puzzle

On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 7:34:32 PM UTC-5, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 16:53:35 -0500, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Undoubtedly true, but not all parts do cost just a few pennies. E.g.,
today I saw that one little electronic module for our Maytag dryer sells
for $358 -- and I'm not sure we paid much more than $400 for the whole
appliance about three years ago. I'm glad I don't need one: I just
happened to notice it while looking for something else.

I'll wager the actual component(s) that failed within that module could
have been replaced for pennies, though. $358 is outrageous for probably
in total no more than 10 bucks worth of bits.

Believe it or not, a lot of those appliance modules have high ESR caps causing issues, and they are usually smaller value caps that don't present themselves with a vented top or bottom. But a lot of them have bad processors or support circuitry, and there's no schematic for the board or datasheets available for most ICs that are house numbered, so they can be problematic to fix.

But yeah, most of those boards are worth $150 tops.