Research86

Default BLASTING DAMAGE TO MY HOUSE -- DETAILS -- HELP PLEASE

AJ,
Thanks for your comments.
It makes sense that concrete, like everything else in life,
doesn't last forever -- and I don't expect mine to be an exception.
However --- I am truly puzzled why my foundation and bathroom tile
first started cracking after the blasting. It's just too coincidental.
If all concrete cracks eventually, perhaps unusual earth disturbances
can cause it to crack prematurely.
Maybe I've gotten a little jaded about insurance companies since
this happened, but only because I've learned from various sources that
some of them (particularily mine) have a tendency to balk at more
expensive repairs. We're looking at MAJOR costs. Our company has
paid properly for some minor repairs over almost 30 years.
Would greatly appreciate being pointed to any reference materials
by you OR ANYONE READING THIS -- references for effects of low-level
blasting on foundations.

Research -- Ed

AJScott wrote in message ...
In article . net,
"David Martel" wrote:

Research,

If by "stair-step" cracking you mean that the mortar is cracking in a
stair step fashion then you are wrong that this is characteristic of
blasting. This is commonly seen in foundations with settling. The cracking
pattern in the bath room tile also sounds non specific.
If these engineers really did say that these signs are specific to
blasting then you should have no trouble in getting an engineer to inspect
your house and write an opinion. Be sure to get estimates for repairs. Armed
with this report you can then interview a few lawyers. After hiring a lawyer
follow his advice on further testing and inspections.
However, your insurer has already sent experts to examine your house.
They have concluded that you won't be able to prove a relationship between
your problems and blasting. So be aware that your experts will be contested
in court.
From your posts it sounds as if you do not want expert opinions; you want
opinions that support your beliefs. That is not a good way to resolve your
problem.

Good luck,
Dave M.

I live just under a mile away from a commercial limestone quarry, and
I'm with Dave. Bad things happen to good cinderblock even in places
where blasting never happens; worse things happen to mortar even sooner.
Just because it never happened in 11 years doesn't mean that it would
*never* happen to you.

Or, as my structural engineer friend likes to say, "There's three things
that are absolutely true true about concrete: 1. It's hard. 2. It's
gray. 3. It all cracks eventually.

Personally, I don't think the insurance industry is out to screw you.
I've had my homewoner's insurance company gladly fork over settlement
checks for stupier ****.

Like Dave said, you have to *prove* your protest within the context of
*your own* troubles. And unless all your neighbors with the same type of
house built at the same time by the same contractor are also having the
exact same problems you are, good luck ****ing into the wind.

AJS

AJS