Research86

Default BLASTING DAMAGE TO MY HOUSE -- DETAILS -- HELP PLEASE

David,
Thank you for the info.
I've had no experience with foundations until now, and have relied
on info from others.
If "settling" (I assume this means foundation movement due to
natural earth shifts over time) can cause stair-step cracks along and
across mortar joints, then a central question is: Can shock waves
from blasting cause earth movements which stress foundations/footings
quickly, with similiar effects as long-term movements?
i.e. What are the known effects on concrete block foundations from
the type of earth movements typical of lower-level blasting? I
definately DO WANT expert answers to this question, as well as known
effects on wall tiles in bathrooms.
Thanks again for your input Dave. I'm just trying to learn why I
had all these cracks appear after the blasting and none before. P.S.
A few vertical cracks through the blocks themselves also appeared.
Hopefully someone out there will be willing to refer me to a good
book or in debth study which addresses this issue.

Research -- Ed

are the equivalent the

"David Martel" wrote in message link.net...
Research,

If by "stair-step" cracking you mean that the mortar is cracking in a
stair step fashion then you are wrong that this is characteristic of
blasting. This is commonly seen in foundations with settling. The cracking
pattern in the bath room tile also sounds non specific.
If these engineers really did say that these signs are specific to
blasting then you should have no trouble in getting an engineer to inspect
your house and write an opinion. Be sure to get estimates for repairs. Armed
with this report you can then interview a few lawyers. After hiring a lawyer
follow his advice on further testing and inspections.
However, your insurer has already sent experts to examine your house.
They have concluded that you won't be able to prove a relationship between
your problems and blasting. So be aware that your experts will be contested
in court.
From your posts it sounds as if you do not want expert opinions; you want
opinions that support your beliefs. That is not a good way to resolve your
problem.

Good luck,
Dave M.