Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Dry lining boxes

On 17/01/2019 17:40, Scott wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 17:14:00 +0000, (Roger Hayter)
wrote:

Scott wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 22:02:51 +0000,
(Roger Hayter)
wrote:

Scott wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 18:31:38 +0000, ARW
wrote:

On 16/01/2019 10:48, Scott wrote:
In the ongoing Schuko saga, the kitchen fitters have installed two dry
lining boxes by screwing the yellow bits sideways into the chipboard,
leaving them wholly rigid and not quite parallel. Is this a
recognised way of fitting a back box?

Can dry lining boxes be used with chipboard? Someone told me they
were intended for plasterboard only, but I suspect this is incorrect.

Get them back to do the job properly.

Given that I am not a qualified electrician, would I not need to
instruct an expert report to demonstrate that what they have done is
not correct? This could cost orders of magnitude more than the sum in
dispute.

If the complaint is that the sockets are crooked in or another plane
then this is aesthetics, net electrical fitting, so you are as qualified
as anyone to object.

It's about electrical fitting, as I said. As I see it, if the
electrician gives evidence that it is customary to fit in this way,
and bring witness to this effect, then I don't see how I can win in
the absence of technical evidence. Unless anyone here fancies a wee
day out ....

If the final result looks nice and is stable then it is probably as good
a way of fitting them as any and I don't see what you are complaining
about. If they don't look straight and satisfactory you need no
technical evidence to reject them.

Because screws that should move in or out with ease require a huge
amount of force to align and insert. Boxes must be designed with
moveable lugs for a reason.

Adjustable lugs are just there to level the switch and socket off.

If you are having problems screwing back the socket then they have not
fully opened out the lugs before screwing them to the chip board or more
likely in this case have distorted the dry liner (your reference to not
parallel).

Either way it is wrong.

--
Adam