Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New Wylfa not *quite* dead

On 17/01/2019 16:51, newshound wrote:
On 17/01/2019 16:22, Brian Gaff wrote:
You are too late I already read it a week ago.
Â* Brian

There's been speculation for a week on the lines of the Guardian report,
the Sky report is based on what Hitachi actually said today.

In fact I think the copy has just been re-written, I am sure the
original only said that they "could" write off the investment, not that
they *would*. It's still saying

"As a result we will be suspending the development of the Wylfa Newydd
project, as well as work related to Oldbury, until a solution can be
found,"

"In the meantime we will take steps to reduce our presence but keep the
option to resume development in future."

Hitachi's investment to date is said to be £2.1B, much larger than
Toshiba's £100M in Moorside. Hitachi have really done a *lot* of work on
Wylfa.

On where we are with respect to Nuvlear power and Brexit:

"The government is taking the steps to prepare for the UK leaving the
European Union and is working to ensure that businesses have the
information they need to prepare. As well as regular and ongoing
engagement with research institutes, businesses, and business and trade
representative groups to discuss their priorities and concerns, we have
taken forward significant preparations," BEIS said.

These include passing of new legislation to lay the groundwork for the
UKs future outside the EU with 57 out of 63 required statutory
instruments required by exit day, including new laws for a nuclear
safeguards regime that will maintain the UK industry's ability to trade
in the nuclear sector while ensuring the UK remains on track to meet its
international obligations on day one of exit.

They also include signing Nuclear Cooperation Agreements (NCAs) with
Australia, Canada and the United States. The NCAs allow the UK to
continue civil nuclear cooperation when current Euratom arrangements
cease to apply in the UK

BEIS is working with Ofgem, the government regulator for gas and
electricity markets in Great Britain, the Northern Ireland Utility
Regulator and interconnector operators to put in place arrangements that
aim to ensure that electricity and gas continue to flow across borders
through interconnectors.

Its preparations also include, it said, "protecting our climate ambition
by taking steps to ensure that, if we leave the EU Emissions Trading
Scheme, on day one companies will still have to report their carbon
emissions and there will be a carbon tax of equivalent impact - to make
sure that these important emissions dont increase as a result of a no
deal scenario."

Another measure was publishing a package of secondary legislation in
December to ensure the UK's energy laws function effectively after exit
day, including: European Network Codes, Electricity and Gas Acts, and EU
regulations under the Third Energy Package."

Apart from the bollox bit "protecting our climate ambition by taking
steps to ensure that, if we leave the EU Emissions Trading Scheme, on
day one companies will still have to report their carbon emissions and
there will be a carbon tax of equivalent impact - to make sure that
these important emissions dont increase as a result of a no deal
scenario." its all good stuff and in hand.

Guvmint not ready yet to challenge te Climate alarmists as well as the
remoaners...

--
Theres a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)