Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default phone service resiliency, was: connecting fios to my PC

On 1/17/2019 6:36 AM, devnull wrote:
On 1/16/19 7:25 PM, Frank wrote:
I have a great Comcast system for 2 years for about $200/month which
includes all the movie channels like HBO, Showtime, and Starz and
Netflix, all extended basic channels and top tier internet.Â* Download
speeds capable of a gig per minute although best I measured was 500.
I have their X1 system with main unit and satellite box on another set
where you can DVR up to maybe 6 shows at a time watching another.Â* I
have sets in 3 other rooms with HD tuner.Â* X1 system has voice command
where you can just mention a channel name and it will tune to it.Â* I
hope I can renegotiate and retain it in 2 years.

Since we have both Comcast and FIOS access in our neighborhood guy
across the street gets lowest cost 2 year deal from either and
switches back and forth between the two when he cannot maintain his
deal.Â* I could save money but wife would not tolerate having to
relearn the different systems with a switch.

Nice deal!Â* That setup where I'm at would run north of $300 from Comcast.

It was negotiated by our eldest son. First thing he did was tell them
we were going to quit and went from there. I think another son pays
$240 for same deal and I'm sure some negotiation was required.

The most annoying thing is having to fight big increases when initial
deal runs out. I equate it to buying a car with a fixed monthly payment
for the first year and not knowing what payments will be thereafter.

When FIOS came to my house Verizon made a tremendous effort to get me to
take full service beyond phone. There were the phone calls, the letters
and people knocking at the door. They gave me a terrific 3 year offer
and I told them I would accept it if I got it for life.