Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default connecting fios to my PC

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 12:18:52 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 08:18:34 -0500,
wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 04:51:37 -0500, micky
wrote:

If one has FIOS or some other fiber-optic phone/internet service, what
connects the FIOS box on the wall outside with the FIOS router (or
whatever) next to the computer and the inside phone line?
Is it Cat-5,6? Fiber-optic cable? 4-conductor phone line like has
been used for 80 years (and before that maybe 3-conductor), usually
round and white? If I use Cat-6 will it work better?

My fiber line runs underground to my house - then the conduit rises
above grade and into my house to a fiber-box ONT in my basement
utility room. The ONT looks similar to the one in this thread :

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.as...topicid=190686

The fiber connection into this device is done by the service tech.
I have one phone line out ; one Cat 6 to my internet router on the
main floor ; and one Cat 6 to my TV box.
The service provider included a battery back-up, at no cost, so the
telephone only will continue to function after a power failure -
for emergency calls or to phone the power company.
I like the small local provider very much ; the speed and bundle
pricing is quite good.
John T.

Your phone will work as long as there is power to the concentrator up
the street and all the others until it gets to the central office, as
long as they have power.
For all practical purposes there is no POTS anymore, powered by a big
battery in the central office. Even old style copper wired phones are
still slaves to line powered equipment along the way.

Seems like they are confident about their upstream power back-up :
Every Fibre installation includes a UPS (battery backup). The UPS
automatically engages when the power goes out. This smart system will
turn off Television and Internet service to allow for corded Telephone
service to stay active for up to eight hours.
The UPS uses a 120v plug, meaning you can connect it to your
generator. This will reactivate your Fibre services as well as charge
the battery in the UPS.
John T.