Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default phone service resiliency, was: connecting fios to my PC

On 1/16/2019 1:35 PM, Randy Stevensen wrote:
On 1/16/19 12:42 PM, danny burstein wrote:
In the Good Old Daize, the Central Offices_all_Â* [a] worked
off floating batteries with generator backup.Â* If the utility
power went out, the generators kickedin and typically had
a multi day, or longer, fuel supply.

Back in the "good old days" when I had AT&T pots, My line often had
static or the sound of frying bacon or sometimes a hum that made
conversation difficult at best.

T would repair it but the fix never lasted more than 6 months or so.
T's dialup internet service was a joke.

About 2004 or so, Comcast rolled out HSI, I switched to Comcast and VoIP
and have enjoyed nice clear reliable phone service ever since.Â* Comcast
internet, an Obihai box and Google Voice are an awesome combination.

And FWIW, I have a automatic backup genset so my power is never out more
than about 20 seconds or so while the generator spools up.

I have Comcast triple play which includes computer, VoIP and TV.
I also have a FIOS connected phone line that I use for business which is
treated like a land line and I assume if I wanted to connect to a
computer and use internet that a tech would come out with a modem and
router.

A consulting client pays for the business phone but I will ditch it when
I quit consulting. It is billed like a land line, requiring extra long
distance service and even extra to get things like call block and caller id.