Posted to alt.home.repair
Randy Stevensen Randy Stevensen is offline

Default phone service resiliency, was: connecting fios to my PC

On 1/16/19 12:42 PM, danny burstein wrote:
In the Good Old Daize, the Central Offices_all_ [a] worked
off floating batteries with generator backup. If the utility
power went out, the generators kickedin and typically had
a multi day, or longer, fuel supply.

Back in the "good old days" when I had AT&T pots, My line often had static or the sound of frying bacon or sometimes a hum that made conversation difficult at best.

T would repair it but the fix never lasted more than 6 months or so. T's dialup internet service was a joke.

About 2004 or so, Comcast rolled out HSI, I switched to Comcast and VoIP and have enjoyed nice clear reliable phone service ever since. Comcast internet, an Obihai box and Google Voice are an awesome combination.

And FWIW, I have a automatic backup genset so my power is never out more than about 20 seconds or so while the generator spools up.