Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Low level letterbox prohibition bill

On 16/01/2019 13:26, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
So, the Low Level Letterbox Prohibition Bill got an unusually large
viewing today, and cross party support...

It is, even for politicians, a no brainer.

I wasn't sure whether this was a fictitious bill, but it really does exist.
It makes a lot of sense for houses to have letter boxes that are more at
hand height as the postman is standing at the door. Shame it doesn't also
mandate a minimum height of the hole, to accommodate thicker packages
without the postman having to ring the bell or take the package back to the
sorting office for you to collect. At our old house I cut a larger hole for
a larger letter box, and the postman commented on several occasions how much
easier it made his life as he rarely had to take anything back to the
sorting office. Shame that modern UPVC doors (unlike wooden ones) don't make
it easy to fit a larger box than the small ones that the doors usually come
with.