Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default min max thermometer

On 15/01/2019 18:02, Tim+ wrote:
Robin Wrote in message:
On 15/01/2019 17:07, Tim+ wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
On 15/01/2019 10:46, fred wrote:
Mercury has split and vigourous shaking is not effective. Any other solutions ?

When mine did that I heated it up until most the mercury went into the
expansion bulb.
Then it cooled with the mercury unbroken.

You have to be sure that none of the liquid passes the mercury.

What liquid?

The liquid (eg alcohol) in the bulb that pushes the mercury round the
glass into the vacuum as the temperature rises. The mercury is just an
indicator.

Cheers. Not owned a min/max thermometer before.

It's hard to see how they work if the ends are shrouded leaving what
looks like 2 thermometers side by side. I remember a school A-level
problem to explain by inspection how such a thing worked. IIRC I got
there in the end; but that I thought the universe would be a better
place if there were a liquid that looked like mercury but contracted as
it got hotter.

--
Robin