Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fox's Mercantile Fox's Mercantile is offline

Default Why were old transformers coated with tar?

On 1/15/19 11:13 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
** The process is commonly known as " vacuum impregnation "
- completed transformers are placed in tank of resin or
varnish and the air pressure reduced until all air pockets are filled.

Actually, the vacuum allows the bubbles to expand enough to
float to the surface and pop.

I did this with hand wound transformers at TRW using Poly
Urethane, and in my shop mostly with casting resins.

The vacuum chambers at TRW were nice, but I found that using
a modified pressure cooker works fine for the size jobs I have.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0