Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Apprentice and Hex keys

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 15 January 2019 01:31:19 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Monday, 14 January 2019 16:07:10 UTC, NY wrote:
"bert" wrote in message
In article , Max
Demian
writes
On 13/01/2019 21:55, bert wrote:
In article , "dennis@home"
writes
On 12/01/2019 02:09, Fredxx wrote:

Furlongs? I thought everyone knew you get 10 cricket pitches in
furlong.

You mean wickets not pitches.
A cricket oval is somewhat larger than a chain.

Just shows how confusing the old stuff was.

10 chains one furlong 8 furlongs 1 mile. Simples.
A chain being 22 yds so a mile is 1760yds. What's not to like :-)

The fact that not one single solitary unit is related to another by a
factor
of 10. Maybe the people that dreamed up the imperial system were
mutants
with extra fingers and toes, and so counted in a base other than 10.

I wouldn't mind if everything was related together by a factor of (for
example) 12. You'd learn your 12 times table up to a point beyond
12x12
and
become fairly proficient with it. But when you have to handle
different
conversion factors all over the place, it becomes ludicrous.

On sunday I was trying to work out why they say a plane is
flying at 30,000ft (about 5.6 miles) why not use miles or km ?

Because aviation works like that. You need to specify what height
they have to fly at so they dont run into each other and you need
a lot more levels than every mile or km vertically.

So use metres, but I noticed that flight will level off at 31,000 ft
rather than 9448.8 metres. so why not just fly at 10k meters
or 10km. or perhaps 9km if they can't make 10km.

Because that doesnt give enough flight levels.

At least in the UK we tend to use the largest commonly-used
unit for expressing any given length or weight: road distances
are measured in yards or fractions of a mile; people's weights
are expressed in stones and pounds.

But looking at a tape measure I have here it totals up to 11 inches
then 1 ft the next is 13 inches, but if measuring (in imperial which
I sometimes do) I'd say something was say 1 ft 1 inch or 13 inches.

That tape measure is ****ed by design.

Strange so many ****ed by design things are sold.

And you're too stupid to actually consider what you are
buying and buy the ones that arent ****ed by design.