TURTLE

Default wires to capacitor on YORK AC unit are burned and melted

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message ...
According to CBhvac stephenaddressscfrewedonpurpose@carolinabreezehva c.com:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
2) What are the names of the electrical terminals on a typical compressor?
What does each terminal do?
SM: Common, start, and run. Common acts as a neutral, though on 220 volt
comps, the common terminal is "hot"

No..there is NO NEUTRAL on a 220VAC compressor...not single, or 3 phase..you
are wrong.

He said that, sorta, only a few sentences later on. Poor phraseology on
his part.

Let me say that differently:

The "C" terminal is _common_. It's the "other end" of the two windings
associated with the "R"[un] and "S"[tart] terminals.

In simpler motors, the run winding is energized all the time, the start
winding is energized (through a capacitor to introduce a phase shift) only
during a few seconds worth of startup.

If only the run winding is energized in a stationary single phase motor, the
motor won't start turning, it'll just hum, because it doesn't have any torque
to initiate rotation. If you give the shaft a twist, it will start turning
and get up to speed (but it'll take a while).

The start winding (through the use of the capacitor introducing a phase shift)
introduces the torque needed to get the motor turning from stationary.

[My old 1HP Sears radial arm saw motor is exactly this.]

--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

This is Turtle.

Star Buck you got it wrong here. We are talking about HVAC compressor and not woodworking equipment. Woodworking equipment will work
like you say but hvac compressors , the start winding will stay powered all the time and start with a hard start kit jumping out of
the run capasitor. it give it a 440 volt shot to get it moving then cut out. The run capasitor will stay in line on the start
circuit all during the run time.

Now the other endless void of knownledge you give us here is nothing but 3 phase motor being run off single phase power supply. i
know of no commercial supplier that supplies such devices except for places in Mexico where they don't have a 3 phase supply of
power, and have run 3 phase motors on single phase. These devices has nothing to do with hvac compressor in the USA for we have good
power supply and don't need second rate running devices to run the equipment. Here is the states if you want more power to run your
3 phase motors we use 480 volt service and motor and you have no power shortage at all.

TURTLE

---