Matthew

Default Soffits and attic insulation....

Yes John, it has been unseasonably cold here on LI. Single digits, teens.
though more recently 30's. I spoke to the contractor who did the siding who
agrees....he would cut a hole in the side of the house to gain access to the
attic floor space, insulate the space, then when closing the hole, place a
gable vent there. Probably the best bet but certainly not the cheapest.
I just thought that if I put it back to the way it was (sealed soffits) it
would be ok and a heck of a lot cheaper. I'm in my home 12 years and never
had ice damming in the 1st floor roof.
Matthew

"John Gold" wrote in message
m...
My two cents... I wouldn't block the soffit venting, since ideally you
want to keep that roof cool so you don't get melting and ice dams and
the whole mess that comes with those.

Ideally, you'd get into that space, put in some sort of gable vent
then insulate the floor of the space. That way your living space is
insulated and the roof stays cool.

Of course this comes from a Mainer who wrestles with ice dams every
year because the original contractor didn't vent my attic correctly.
It may not be as big an issue on Long Island (although I'm pretty sure
it gets cold down there as well, right?)

John

"Matthew" wrote in message

. net...
--
I live on Long Island and own a colonial home with a second floor attic

and
partial roof over my 1st floor den and kitchen off of the rear of the

house.
My upstairs attic is well ventilated and is insulated with attic

blankets.
The issue is with my lower roof. It is a sealed design....no gable vents

(I
suppose there are no true "gables" per se...the roof comes off of the

rear
of the house). That attic not being ventilated, the insulation is

relatively
minimal. I never had a problem until I has vinyl siding installed a few
years ago. The siding itself was installed over "super tuff-R". Only
recently while having some electrical work done did I realize that the
contractor cut huge holes in the original plywood soffit before

installing
the ventilated vinyl soffit. My den and kitchen have been notably cooler

in
the winter and I can now safely assume it is coming from these

previously
sealed, now vented soffits. I have no roof vents or gable vents so there

is
nowhere for the air that enters the soffits to go but DOWN, not out.

Now the question.....
I have no access to this attic short of cutting a HOLE in the side of my
house to get in there to insulate. I will not have blown insulation
installed...I don't like the stuff. I know it may not be "proper" but

can I
just pull down the vinyl soffit, stuff insulation into these huge holes

and
replace the vinyl?? I will sort of put it back "the way it was".

All suggestions appreciated!!!
Thanks,
Matthew