Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] rsisemore@gmail.com is offline

Default 12" rough-in toilets actually measure 10"?

On Sunday, September 5, 2010 at 7:26:42 AM UTC-4, Mikepier wrote:
On Sep 5, 2:15Â*am, Molly Brown wrote:
On Sep 4, 10:10Â*pm, RicodJour wrote:

On Sep 4, 11:31Â*pm, Mikepier wrote:

I was shopping in Lowes tonight for a basic toilet to replace an old
one we have in a rental. The original one in the rental is 10" rough
when I measured from the flange studs to the wall. Lowes only sells
12" rough-in in stock, however the toilets they had on display I
measured just for curiousity, and most actually measured about 10"
from the flange holes to the back of the tank. So I'm just wondering
why they do this?

To allow for varying wall thicknesses, for one reason, but mainly its
because a little short is a lot better than a little long.

Until someone leans back on it anyway.

Well, good news for me is at least I don't have to special order a 10"
bowl. It looks as though I can buy a 12" bowl off the shelf as it will
fit.

Did it work? I'm facing the same scenario now.