Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Apprentice and Hex keys

Robin wrote:

On 13/01/2019 12:35, Roger Hayter wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
On Sunday, 13 January 2019 02:34:48 UTC, BillD wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Despite trying to convert, I still find yards feet and inches easier
to use for DIY round the house than metric. I reckon it interfaces
with the human brain better.

Yes, the metre is fine, close enough to a yard to allow easy
visualisation but there isnžt any foot like equivalent and the cm is a
bit of a bodge.

there's the metric foot or 30cm

Which rather proves the point that going from a centimetre to metre is too
big a change for practical use.

I think the decimetre gets used quite a lot, at least in France. We
don't seem to use it at all.

yes, which is odd when it's such a handy unit

Our teacher at the time (?late 50s, early 60s) said we should never use
it, as the French had endless problems confusing cm and dm, and anyway,
as Englishmen, we had the foot to use.

--

Roger Hayter