Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Scottish idiot ... The Scottish idiot ... is offline

Default Is there such a thing as "Dirty Gas" and could it damage my combi?

"Nick Odell" wrote in message
Cooking on the gas hob last night, suddenly the flames began to flicker
yellow.

First thought: dirt on the bottom of the pans - so I turned on the other
burners and they were doing the same.

Second thought: low oxygen (panic!) but even though I felt no personal
effects and the house is old and draughty as hell, I opened the back door
and continued cooking with the open air blowing into the kitchen. It
carried on like that for another few minutes and then it went away leaving
only normal, blue flames.

Everything is AOK normal this morning and it's never happened before so is
it reasonable to presume there was some contaminant in the pipe? If so,
could it have damaged my combi? Next combi service is due in about nine
months.

Nick

the west coast of scotland gets iron filings through the supply but the east
coast doesn't ......work that one out.....