Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Motion detector light problems

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 02:58:53 +0000, Mike_Duffy
wrote:

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 23:25:19 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Replace the sensor and be done with it. They are only good for a few
years from my experience.

I have a motion detector switch in my shed. I noticed after initial install
that a CFL causes it to continuously 'sense' motion. All worked well when I
replaced the CFL with an LED.

Actually, I also needed to put a filament (40 W) light parallel to the main
LED load in order to provide a virtual ground for the sensor because LEDs
cannot present a low enough impedance to enable the tiny current required
by the sensor. After all, it needs to have somewhere to put electrons when
it is finished with them.

All of mine are now "native" LED. No bulbs. No sockets. Designed to
work that way and a LOT less power for at least as much light.

The only non LEDs in this house are the "globe" type exposed bulbs at
the bathroom vanities. I have 3 sets of replacements for them so they
will LIKELY remain incandescent for several years yet.